The origins and history behind the Lioness of Gobedra remains much a mystery. At three meters wide, the first foreign account of the engraved lion was described by the German archaeologists that came to study the Aksum ruins at the turn of the century in 1913.
According to one legend, the Archangel Michael was attacked
by this lion. The angel repelled the lion with such force , it left an outline of the lion into the rock” (Source: Wikipedia)